Desolate Carnage

Best Of 2011 / To-listen-to List
Views: 3695 | Replies: 19 | Started 12 years, 4 months ago
#817043 | Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 20:48:20
Group: Members
June 2012 edit
Albums I still listen to halfway through the next year: Burzum's "Fallen", Morbid Angel's "Illud Divinum Insanus", Novembers Doom's "Aphotic", Vektor's "Outer Isolation", and a bit of Autopsy, Crowbar, Darkest Hour, and The Haunted. Symphony X put out a good album but I find myself listening to their previous stuff when I do. Opeth's album was alright, but it lacked the charm and dynamics of their older stuff.

I have been catching up on tons of stuff from the past and I haven't listened to a lot of the noted releases from this year. I also need to listen to a few albums once more. After putting together the list, I'm surprised by how few full albums I have listened to. Any recommendations are welcome ofc.

Listened to (incomplete list):

Absu - Abzu
Dissonant and abrasive, not at all memorable. Didn't like it at all, though I feel like I got a bad rip that was off-speed and the overall sound was extremely harsh from the guitars being a few hz above standard. Will need to borrow a CD copy from a m8 and check it again.

Agnostic Front - My Life, My Way
The vocals are painful to listen to, the songwriting is boring. They had a good run.

*Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Really good

Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
Probably their best in a decade, it's a really strong melodic death metal album that mixes in some modern groove stuff and some power metal guitar work. Tons of neoclassical guitar leads. I wish the production was a bit less sterile. The vocals are Angela's best performance with the band. I still think the band has never equaled what the members did with previous bands (Carcass/Eucharist/Grave)

Arsonists Get All The Girls - Motherland
The first half of the album seemed to be a lot more dynamic and melody-driven, while the second half seems to be full of boring breakdowns and rhythmic stuff, weird non-metal stuff for the sake of being weird, and intentionally eclectic songwriting. While the eclectic nature has always been their identity, it's a bit tough since tracks 9-10 were really tiring and boring.

*The Atlas Moth - An Ache For The Distance
Wow, this is amazing. Spaced out stoner doom/rock, like a modern Kyuss with an ethereal vocalist and multiple guitars. This is one of the few atmosphere/texture oriented albums that I really like.

*Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Amazing, it's classic Autopsy but a bit more varied. It still sounds like the early 90s, which rules.

Brutal Truth - End Time
I didn't get much out of this one, nothing really stood out, it wasn't bad but it really lacked the aggression and hostile edge that grindcore needs to be good.

*Burzum - Fallen
Hypnotic, repeated riffs and a hell of a piercing guitar tone, plus sung/harmonized vocals that fit in just right. Probably my favorite so far.

Burzum - From The Depths of Darkness
Interesting supplement to the older stuff, I'm still used to the older versions but I love the doomy atmosphere on some songs. I miss the character of the sharp, abrasive production.

Cannabis Corpse - Under Grow Lights Thou Shall Rise
I always thought they were a gimmick band, and I'm not much a fan of Municipal Waste so I didn't check out this side project. This is a solid album of older style death metal, not a classic but I think I'll revisit it as well as checking out the band's older stuff.

*Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand
I love it as a fan of Crowbar, but it's certainly not quite like any of their other stuff. The cleaner production is a contrast to the dirtier and doomier productions of past eras. Heavy as fuck, but that's what Kirk does.

Dark Castle - Surrender To All Life Beyond Form
Bad. Really bad. I reviewed it on metal-archives.com

Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
Great songwriting, the drumming is better than ever, the production sounds like Soilwork (ew).

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Good album, stylistically its a mix of their 90s stuff. I feel like DT is capable of putting out something more exceptional though. JR dicks around with the iPad synths way too much too.

Earth Crisis - Neutralize The Threat
I'm a bit surprised that it still has the edge and aggression of old EC, it's good but nothing novel. I like it for what it is.

Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory
Solid death/grind album, lots of good riffs. Exhumed do what they do well

Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist
Boring nu-metal, it's like Disturbed if their vocalist didn't have any flair.

Gridlink - Orphan
This is a bit noisy and chaotic even for grindcore. 12 minutes of fury, it's good but not exceptional.

Havok - Time Is Up
There are some great riffs, but there are also a lot of riffs that feel like they are repeated way too much, and even in multiple songs. Decent re-thrash, nothing special.

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu
:omg:

Machine Head - Unto The Locust
Tired grooves, this band has never put out anything impressive. Polished, mechanical production and the riffs don't have much color or phrasing.

*Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
I love it. The electronic/mechanical sound is a bit rough, which I like a lot more than most modern mechanical sound. Some of it revels in being ridiculous, and while some songs drag on a bit, I like it a lot.

*Novembers Doom - Aphotic
Exceptional, the band is more dynamic and heavier than ever, the songs are better written, and Paul Kuhr is more of a beast than ever on vocals. This band is top notch.

*Scale The Summit - The Collective
Amazing and very different as always, one of the best I've heard.

Straight Line Stitch - The Fight Of Our Lives
euhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*The Haunted - Unseen
I'm not quite sure what they were doing, but it really works. Tons of melodic hooks, the guitar work is a lot more varied than in the past. Hard rock album of the year.

*Times of Grace - The Hymn of a Broken Man
Really strong album, it's a lot more engaging than the last KSE album. Metalcore album of the year

Thursday - No Devolucion
Good, the ballad-ish track in the middle is absolutely terrible though and it practically ruins the album if I try to listen through the CD.

Tombs - Path of Totality
Boring music, terrible production. Worst garbage I've heard called "album of the year" since Agalloch's last one.

Vektor - Outer Isolation
Wow, it sounds like Voivod exploded. Best thrash album I've heard this year.

Needs another listen:
Opeth - Heritage
Symphony X - Iconoclast
The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Vektor - Outer Isolation

To-listen-to:
Absu - Abzu
Agnostic Front - My Life My Way
Anthrax - Worship Music
Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
The Atlas Moth - An Ache for the Distance
Black Cobra - Invernal
Black Tusk - Set The Dial
Brutal Truth - End Time
Dark Castle, Surrender to All Life Beyond Form
Decapitated - Carnival Is Forever
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Drugs of Faith - Corroded
Earth Crisis - Neutralize The Threat
Exhumed, All Guts, No Glory
Graveyard - Hisengen Blues
Gridlink - Orphan
Havok - Time Is Up
Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst The Ashes (I'll listen to albums simply because Erik Rutan produces them, somehow I missed this one)
Immolation - Providence
Insomnium - One For Sorrow
KEN mode – Venerable (Kurt Ballou produced it, gotta hear it).
Lock Up - Necropolis Transparent
Mastodon - The Hunter
Novembers Doom - Aphotic
Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
The Project Hate MCMXCIX, Bleeding The New Apocalypse
Protest The Hero - Scurrilous
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Tombs - Path of Totality
Ulver - War of the Roses
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
Yob - Atma

Albums that I'm probably going to hate but will listen to anyway"
Animals As Leaders
Between The Buried And Me

This post has been edited by Zodijackyl on Thu - Jun 21 2012 - 21:16:39
#817044 | Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 20:52:22
Things I look forward to finding out:

-What's the difference between Black Cobra, Black Tusk, and Red Fang?

-Can Animals As Leaders put out a worse album than their debut, which was the worst album of all time?

-Why are there so many 2010 albums on this year's top album lists? (I see Ghost a lot), and why do I think albums from February for last year?

-What have I already forgotten from earlier this year?
#817045 | Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 20:59:29
2 users are viewing this topic (0 guests and 0 dodging)
Zodijackyl, M_A_T_T

Yeah I know Megadeth isn't on the list, I'll listen to it before I see them next year.
#817050 | Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 21:19:12
Good album, stylistically its a mix of their 90s stuff. I feel like DT is capable of putting out something more exceptional though. JR dicks around with the iPad synths way too much too.
#817052 | Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 21:28:56
Gridlink - Orphan
This is a bit noisy and chaotic even for grindcore. I think I'll give it another listen later, since it's only 12 minutes long.
#817054 | Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 21:37:54
Almost forgot:

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu
:omg:
#817193 | Wed - Dec 14 2011 - 17:45:27
Vektor - Outer Isolation
Wow, it sounds like Voivod exploded. Best thrash album I've heard this year.
#817205 | Wed - Dec 14 2011 - 22:48:17
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Mon - Dec 12 2011 - 21:28:56)
Gridlink - Orphan
This is a bit noisy and chaotic even for grindcore. I think I'll give it another listen later, since it's only 12 minutes long.

The guitar melodies in the title track really stand out. All I can say about the rest of it is "grind grind grind"\
#817304 | Thu - Dec 15 2011 - 22:32:21
Wow, I forgot that Darkest Hour put out an album this year.

Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
Great songwriting, the drumming is better than ever, the production sounds like Soilwork (ew).

Absu - Abzu
Dissonant and abrasive, not at all memorable. Didn't like it at all, though I feel like I got a bad rip that was off-speed and the overall sound was extremely harsh from the guitars being a few hz above standard. Will need to borrow a CD copy from a m8 and check it again.

Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory
Solid death/grind album, lots of good riffs. Exhumed do what they do well
#817325 | Fri - Dec 16 2011 - 03:31:40
worship music to top of list

Belladona is too awesome
#817568 | Sun - Dec 18 2011 - 11:22:32
Quote (StQ @ Fri - Dec 16 2011 - 03:31:40)
worship music to top of list

Belladona is too awesome

Belladonna has always been great, downloading this now.
#817874 | Wed - Dec 21 2011 - 15:54:18
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Amazing, it's classic Autopsy but a bit more varied. It still sounds like the early 90s, which rules.

Dark Castle - Surrender To All Life Beyond Form
Bad. Really bad. I reviewed it on metal-archives.com
#820110 | Tue - Jan 3 2012 - 23:49:03

Tombs - Path of Totality
Boring music, terrible production. Worst garbage I've heard called "album of the year" since Agalloch's last one.
#820625 | Fri - Jan 6 2012 - 16:30:04
im interested to hear your opeth review, i love them and their cd
#820638 | Fri - Jan 6 2012 - 20:46:13
Quote (blackjack21 @ Fri - Jan 6 2012 - 16:30:04)
im interested to hear your opeth review, i love them and their cd

I listened to it once or twice, I like it but it really needs more than one listen. I'll post my thoughts here when I get back to it, it's actually last on the list since I won't forget Opeth. I have been a fan of the band for a long time, but I think after Deliverance they were holding onto their roots in death metal and not getting 100% into their albums. I think Heritage is the last step in escaping that, and I'm surprised that Per Wiberg left the band at the same time. I'd recommend Spiritual Beggards "Ad Astra" if you love Heritage - same keyboard player, guitar legend Mike Amott, doing 70s rock/metal stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9t3CWwU-Q
Oh yeah, and two of my friends are sitting next to John Petrucci at the Eric Johnson show in NYC tonight, should hear some good stories from that.

All of my full-length metal reviews are here: http://www.metal-archives.com/user-reviews/Zodijackyl
Mostly extreme metal though.
#821090 | Sat - Jan 14 2012 - 11:06:59
Havok - Time Is Up
There are some great riffs, but there are also a lot of riffs that feel like they are repeated way too much, and even in multiple songs. Decent re-thrash, nothing special.
#821319 | Tue - Jan 17 2012 - 01:15:34
The first half of the album seemed to be a lot more dynamic and melody-driven, while the second half seems to be full of boring breakdowns and rhythmic stuff, weird non-metal stuff for the sake of being weird, and intentionally eclectic songwriting. While the eclectic nature has always been their identity, it's a bit tough since tracks 9-10 were really tiring and boring.

Cannabis Corpse - Under Grow Lights Thou Shall Rise
I always thought they were a gimmick band, and I'm not much a fan of Municipal Waste so I didn't check out this side project. This is a solid album of older style death metal, not a classic but I think I'll revisit it as well as checking out the band's older stuff.
#821365 | Tue - Jan 17 2012 - 15:26:54
Really enjoyed some of Arch Enemy, but generally i dont like the vocals in that kind of genre, but all the rest was good.
Lulu was tragic, felt like it was just Metallica doing their own thing and Lou Reed doing his thing, didnt mix very well... Used to like Lou Reed, saw him at a festival, sat first, then lay, nearly fell asleep seriously dull...
Old but i found thought it was funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9LcJwX9dnE
I liked Dream Theater a lot, but agree, its still not the well crafted music they have made in the past. Good album though.
#821422 | Wed - Jan 18 2012 - 01:07:44
*Novembers Doom - Aphotic
Exceptional, the band is more dynamic and heavier than ever, the songs are better written, and Paul Kuhr is more of a beast than ever on vocals. This band is top notch.
#822785 | Sat - Feb 4 2012 - 12:55:04
Still need to listen to:

Anthrax - Worship Music
Black Cobra - Invernal
Black Tusk - Set The Dial
Decapitated - Carnival Is Forever
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Drugs of Faith - Corroded
Graveyard - Hisengen Blues
Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst The Ashes
Immolation - Providence